Monday, September 28, 2015

First Transfer? Check! -September 28th, 2015

Hey guys! How was everyone's week? Mine was pretty great! It was a pretty busy week filled with a lot of hard work! And because of all that hard work we were able to accomplish a lot which was so great! This week will mark the end of my first transfer! Crazy! We got transfer calls on Saturday and Elder Anderson and I will be staying in Huntsville together for at least another transfer. I'm really excited to continue the work in this area and get to know the people better!

This week I had a request from the mama to answer some questions about my experiences this week. So I thought I'd make that the subject of this weeks email! 

The questions are 
- What has been your biggest challenge this week?
 One of my biggest challenges this week has been tiredness. The whole time I've been out, I've been pretty tired. But this week we just worked so hard that I was just physically drained and exhausted for the majority of the time. Our work would cut into our sleeping schedule and that made it really difficult. So this week finding a way to overcome my tiredness and have my spirit rule over my body has been one of the biggest challenges. But it was through involving Christ in our work that I was able to somehow find that little bit of energy to keep going and continue in the work. But yeah, I'm exhausted haha

- What has been your biggest concern? 
This last week, my biggest concern has been our investigators. They're really the main thing that I find myself worrying about recently. The adversary can be very powerful and will do whatever he can to push people of the path to Christ and I've seen that first hand since I've been out. Which is sad and hard to see but it just shows how important this work is and how important the gospel is in peoples lives. Why would Satan try so hard to stop something from happening or to distract someone unless what they were originally doing was of utter importance? So that's what my biggest concern has been.

- What has been your biggest success?
I think that my biggest success has been the ability and blessing to be able to talk to anyone and everyone about the gospel. It's something that, before coming out, I was worried about and something that I know I've only been able to do through Christ. Outside of missionary life, people hardly ever talk to other people randomly in public places or just go around knocking on peoples doors to talk to them so it was something very foreign to me. Obviously it's something that i'm still working on but it was something that I was really struggling with at the beginning of my mission and one of the things that i'd consider my biggest success so far! 

- Who has been your favorite person this week? Why? 
My favorite person this week has probably been Elder Ruano. Elder Ruano is one of my zone leaders and I had the chance to go on an exchange with him this last Friday-Saturday. I've really looked up to him since I came out and we got to have some really great discussion about a lot of things that really helped me and made me understand things more clearly. He's a great missionary and sadly he's being transferred out of Huntsville so i'm very happy i got to have that experience with him. 

- What has been your most significant tender mercy?
If any of you are wondering here is a definition of tender mercies that I really love; “The Lord's tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ” 
So figuring out the one tender mercy that has been the most significant is a hard thing to do. But I would have to say that the most significant in general is the strength I've received since I've left. There have been many hard times throughout this process but they would've been a lot harder if the Lord hadn't strengthened me and carried me through those trials. Whether that strength comes through motivation that I find, a new understanding or in a form of comfort and reassurance there have been many experiences and it has made this huge transition a lot easier and a lot more manageable. 

- What are you looking forward to this coming week? 
Oh man, a lot of things! We have a lot planned this week and so i'm excited for all the appointments we have. We also have dinner ever night this week so you know i'm excited for that! Its also the start of a new month which means our credit cards get topped up which means groceries:) I'm also just excited for all the adventures that this week holds and all the people that i'll be able to meet. So much happens in the course of a week as a missionary and there is a lot to look forward to! One of the biggest things is probably just the opportunities that i'll have to continue to learn and grow this upcoming week. Each week I've been learning so much and I really love it.


- Which scripture has had the biggest impact on you this week?
One of the scriptures that has made a huge impact on me this week is Doctrine and Covenants 10:5. The scripture reads  "Pray always, that you may come off conqueror; yea, that you may conquer Satan, and that you may escape the hands of the servants of Satan that do uphold his work." 
This week I've been trying to learn how to make prayer a much more personal thing and I've been trying to make it second nature for me throughout my day. I've had many experiences where i'll be struggling or we'll be having a bad day and i'll remember that I haven't prayed since waking up or since the previous night. And i'll take a moment, step back and involve the Lord in what we're doing and almost instantly things turn around and start going well. Its amazing how important it is, especially in this work, to always involve the Lord in all that you do so that you may "conquer Satan". 
It doesn't just apply to missionary life either. There is immense importance in involving the Lord in your day to day life. Proverbs 3:6 says "In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." And I have a testimony that if you will do as the scriptures say and acknowledge the lord in your life, he will bless you in so many ways and guide you through the trials and experiences of life. 

I hope you guys enjoyed this game of ask the Elder;) Sadly I don't have any pictures this week because I've been super busy and been slacking on the picture taking. But I promise to be better this week and to take more pictures so that y'all can feel more involved in my life:)

As always thank you so much for all the love and support that's been shown to me. I can't explain how much I appreciate it! I love you guys and hope you all have a great week! 

Sincerely, 

Elder Honn

No comments:

Post a Comment