Monday, October 12, 2015

The Best Way to Find Yourself is in the Service of Others -October 12th, 2015


Hey everyone!

My week was pretty crazy! Not crazy like awesome mission story experiences crazy but crazy like I'm now in a boot and will be for at least another week.... haha let me explain. So on Thursday night we play basketball with investigators (people interested in the church). We have this so that we can have fun with people and connect with them through that camaraderie that comes with sports. Anyways we were playing a good game of basketball and I went up for a shot under the hoop and came down on another missionaries foot. It was pretty painful and I was in quite a lot of pain until late the next day when we could finally get to a doctors office where they took X-rays and got me taken care of. They thought for sure it was fractured but they couldn't see anything on the X-rays so they decided it was a severe sprain. Which means that I just tore and damaged the ligaments in my foot/ankle. So I was in a boot and on crutches until Sunday then was able to walk on the boot without the crutches(thank goodness, crutches are just the worst). So a chunk of the second half of our week was spent in our apartment with my foot elevated...not too fun. But it did give me a lot of extra time to study the scriptures and feast on His word!

While I was going crazy in the apartment I spent a lot of my time studying the Saviors mortal ministry, focusing on the acts of service that He performed. And that's what I want to focus on today. Jesus Christ truly set the perfect example of how to love and serve those around Him. The whole life of Jesus Christ really makes it clear the responsibility and privilege we have to serve everyone around us. We should all be striving to become like Christ, and I have a testimony that it's through service that we can more fully understand His plan and through forgetting ourselves and serving others we will grow and progress toward the end result of becoming like Him. 

So far some of the best experiences on my mission have been the opportunities that the Lord has given me to serve those around me. Whether this be mowing someones lawn that we met while tracting, or helping a ward member with something they are struggling with. The love and happiness that comes from forgetting yourself and serving your fellow man is amazing. And, like the subject of this email says, the best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. I have a very strong testimony of this and can testify that some of the happiest times of my life, not only as a missionary, have been when I was fully engaged in helping others and serving those around me.

I challenge all of you to make that a focus in your life, not only this week but for the rest of your life. Because some of the happiest people that I know are the ones that serve people the most and have dedicated their lives to the service of their fellow man. And I promise that applying even a sliver of selfless service into your life will bless you in so many ways.

Anyways, I hope you all have a great week and i'll talk to you next Monday!

Sincerely,

Elder Honn



No comments:

Post a Comment